Thursday, February 14, 2013

Organization culture .. a small example from Ikea

Yesterday I went "again" to Ikea, I say “again” because in Jordan Ikea still did not open, so when I moved to Abu Dhabi, I went in one month less than 4 times, and not mainly for shopping :).

Now when I enter Ikea, I feel organization culture in the air, employees by the door offer to "lend" you yellow bags, a baggage cart that is designed to carry these bags and even if you enter the toilet in the first floor, everything designed to be efficient to use yet with quality! I also noticed on my right the kids area where Ikea put 4 posters to tell the parents "how to" leave their kids in that playing area. So in summery when I entered, from minute one, I understood what the organization culture was.

 “Which I don't know how accurate I am, yet I believe it is Quality and Efficiency and off course efficiency leads to a lower price”.

Now after doing all my shopping, I went to the cashier, I had so many small items, and two garbage canes, she asked me if I want to purchase a bag which I agreed and then she started putting the items in the new clean garbage cane in an amazing organized way, here it hit me, how did this cashier managed to reflect the culture in such way! the next logical question, what were the practices made by the company to transfer this culture specially that it will be impossible from a logical perspective to train the cashier on such practice, the only logical explanation that this lady was "sucked into" the organization culture in a way that here daily practices became a representation to the whole culture!
Now to look from a broader way, culture is not a training given to employees, as I said, you cannot train the cashier on acting the way the cashier lady did, culture is a change built by practice and small dosage of ideas presentation, and off course a commitment from everyone in the organization, culture cannot be built only by presenting a rewarding system, it cannot be explained by the motivation theories we studied and for sure, it is not only hiring the right fit people. Culture is a set of processes that starts from top of the hierarchy to the bottom, it is a mix of training plans, benefit and compensation, change management, recruitment and on boarding practices, processes, etc... That is built in a cohesive vision and if any of the previous was not on the same "page", the whole melody will be distorted.

I believe such a small practice for one employee can really represent if that organization is doing its job properly or not, that is going to Ikea is usually a joyful journey to me J … yes I am a freak :p .
One last thing, the Items they sell are really cheap!

Best Regards,
Alaa Zaghmout
SPHR, PMP

1 comment:

Omar Adnan Isaid said...

I hope we will have Ikea in Jordan and experience such joyful journey